Sunday, May 1, 2011

This one grew like a weed.

In January of 2010, I had a starter plant of Fancy Trail in a solo cup.  Fancy Trail is a crown-variegated standard trailer.  I potted it into a 3 inch pot in February, a 4 inch pot in May, a 5 inch pan pot in September, and then a 6 inch pan  pot in November.  In January, it has already overgrown its pot, and needed an 8 inch pot.

Here is what the plant looked like before and after I repotted.  There are two types of trailers.  One type makes a bushy plants with a lot of crowns around the center of the plant.  They do not so much trail as sucker profusely.  The other type of trailer forms long stems.  Notice how this plant really trails.  This type of trailer would make a nice hanging basket.

Before

After










Since the plant grew so fast, I should have guessed that it might come into full bloom quickly.  But I didn't, and it did.  It probably won't make show this year, but here it is.


There is one big flaw to this plant.  Since it grew so fast, I didn't get a chance to pinch it to encourage more crowns.  The more crows, the more bloom.  Some trailers do this all on their own.  Once the show is over and I have time, I will stripe this plant down and try to make it a fuller plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment